The historical city-centres


The historical city-centre, an urban protected area, has until these days preserved it´s original Silesian look, for which is typical it´s characterictic two streets crossing on the whole length through built-up space, define two sides of a marketplace and then seemlessly come together at both opposite-lying gates.


The eventual visage of the houses on the barque square is characterized by emipe-style and historical styles of the 19. century. Several houses are even of medieval origins, preserving their ground-floor archs and stone portals. A typical mark of a local urban or rural house is a seat embeded into the wall, next to the main door.

Originally, the city centre of Broumov was protected and circumferenced by walls, entrable by two main-gates and two side-gates, so called fortnas. Those are used until now, enabling pedestrians to use it´s stairs to overcome the lattitude difference between the centre and outer city. The rests of the walls are still visible on several places.

A baroque Marian column from J. Brokoff dominates the main square, built in 1706. On it´s top is a two-side statue of Madona with Jesus, while it´s sides are decorated with saints´ statues: Scholastika, Bededict, Vintíř, Prokop, Wenceslas, Vojtěch, Markéra and Hedvige. The column is made from a single piece of stone.


Dominant of Hronov´s main square is Jirásek´s theathre with a museum located in it´s second floor, which focuses on the history of Hronov and on the person of Alois Jirásek. There is also a Marian plague column built in baroque style, a “free courtyard“ behind a bridge, in the places of former water stronghold, which is an important monument of folk architecture. Right next to his birth-house stands Jirásek´s(1851-1930) bronze statue. The house is situated near the exit from the square on the way to Broumov and belongs to the folk-architecture monuments. Road in the direction of Žďárky will lead you to the summer-house of Jirásek´s.




Police nad Metují

The historical centre is composed of  a quadratic square dominated by a baroque town hall, clerical buildings are situated near the benedictine monastery. Police nad Metují developed as a settlement around the monastery, built in 1213 by the benedictines when Přemysl Otakar I. donated them surrounding lands. Police formed soon afterwards and gained city-priviledges in the13th century. In the 14th century the impact and importance of the monastery started to vanish, because of another monastery built in Broumov. In 1786, due to an order of Jospeh II. the monastery in Police was closed. Today, the city centre is protected as an urban monument area.

Visitor may witness a very well preserved original medieval nature of the city around the Masaryk´s square, creating a network of streets. The square is dominated by a single-floor town hall built in 1718 by Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer, rebuilt from a town hall from the 16th century.After a fire in 1876 an octagonal tower in tudor-gothic style. In the middle of the square is a Marian column by Jan Berkoff, next to it an empire-style fountain from 1818 with an artesian spring water from 70m below.


Partner / Město Broumov